Wednesday, April 9, 2014

LCHF CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH BACON AND ONION

I make a mean potato soup. And you can go ahead and replace "mean" with "YOU'LL LEAVE YOUR MOTHER'S APRON STRINGS AND PROPOSE TO ME" :P

Alas, that isn't very Banting Lifestyle friendly, now is it? It seems my aim in life (at least in the kitchen, that is) is to find ways to replace the foods I miss post hitching my eating wagon to the LCHF post.

Cue cauliflower. The wonderful, humble, available in abundance frozen *don't look for me fresh*, cauliflower :) Here's a quick and easy recipe for a cauliflower soup I made that is as close to my precious potato soup I'll ever get without using the little carb laden spuds.

CHOFFEL'S QUICK 'N EASY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
(aka Potato soup replacement)
1kg bag frozen cauliflower
1 litre milk
300ml boiling water
1 x Knorr Chilli Beef Stock Cube
Ghee for frying
6 rashers streaky bacon
1 large onion
Celery Salt to taste

Finely chop the onion and cut up the bacon rashers into small pieces, and fry these in ghee in a large pot until both are cooked. I defrosted my cauliflower and riced it in my Twister before adding it to the pot, but you could just as easily throw the florets in whole (we'll be blending later anyway).


Add your stock cube to the boiled water to dissolve and add that to the pot, along with the 1 litre of milk (FULL FAT!).
Bring the pot to the boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, adding any seasonings you want to - I just used celery salt and was happy with the outcome.

Once your soup has cooled down, blitz in a blender or use a hand blender in the pot (I'm a great fan of one pot cooking!). Some may like their soup chunky, but I like the fact that blending it combines the flavours and "spreads" the bacon and onion goodness all the way through.

This soup is great served hot or chilled, and freezes perfectly.

And there you have it; a delicious, filling, LCHF friendly soup that'll satiate any cravings for potato soup you may have :)

2 comments:

  1. Key ingredient = Chilli Beef Stock Cube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some clever chap clued me in on those little bombs of awesomeness :P

      Delete