Saturday, February 8, 2014

OMG it's ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!

Yes, it's me, I'm back, and I found my old blog... so instead of starting yet another one that I don't continue with and update regularly, why, it makes sense to resuscitate this one instead don't you think ol' chaps hmmm? Hello world, how have you been? Pip pip right you are, onwards and all that ay wot wot?

I may or may not fill in the gaps of the past *ahem* few years at some stage if I feel up to it, but for now I'm using this platform for two main reasons:
1 - to keep a record of the new recipes I'm trying out
2 - to share said recipes should they work and be of interest to somebody on the same path

The path? Why, the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) or Banting lifestyle - the new craze that seems to be infecting anybody with a social media account as far as my mouse can click!!

I'll expand on that later, plenty of time ahead :) For now, I'm all excited about this morning's kitchen experiment!!

I'm getting oh so slightly bored of scrambled eggs with cheese as breakfast - I do it because it's quick and easy and doesn't require much thought when I'm half asleep in the morning. I've seen quite a few recipes on the interwebs for LCHF / Banting breakfast "muffins" though, and decided to give them a bash this morning. I like the idea of these because they're pretty simple to do, you can make endless variations, and it's a really good way to use up leftovers in your fridge if you have the need. On top of that, they'll keep in your fridge for a week which means brekkies, or even a tasty lunchbox treat, is right at your fingertips. I'm not sure about freezing these bad boys, if anybody has done so with their own run on a similar breakfast "muffin", please let me know how it turned out post defrosting and reheating? Mine won't make it past tomorrow night, I can promise you that ;)

Okay, so first off, just two links for the sites that inspired my own attempt this morning (there are MANY variations):
Nom Nom Paleo - a very cute little site filled with interesting recipes - be aware though, not all are LCHF / Banting friendly due to it being a Paleo site.
Our Best Bites

Right, so my version! I had leftover mince in the fridge from trying out the LCHF version of spaghetti bolognaise last night - baby marrow noodles in place of the spag, so I figured why not use that! I fried it up in a pan on a high heat to reduce the liquid content, and added two grated baby marrow's to the mix along with a chopped fresh jalapeno near the end when most of the excess liquid had been cooked off.


The egg mix I used for this was 6 large eggs, about 100ml full fat milk, a teaspoon of baking powder, tabasco sauce, pepper and herbal salt (I like spicy and I like seasoning!).


I used a standard sized muffin pan that makes 12 and greased it well with butter.


Next, poured the egg mixture about a third of the way up in each well; I might use 7 eggs next time as I was *just* a tad short to make all the wells the same fill as I wanted to. Added a fork full of my mince / baby marrow mixture into each well.


Topped each one off with grated cheddar and a pinch of smoked paprika.


Popped into a preheated oven for 30 minutes at 180 celcius - the smell after 10 minutes was mouth watering, and the end result once these bad boys came out did not disappoint!!



So there you have it, my first post on LCHF / Banting kitchen fun! These are damn delicious - I've had four already and I strongly suspect another 2 will be meeting their demise shortly.... and at less than 2g carb per muffin by my reckoning, I can do so without stressing about the scale too!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Looking forward to future updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elize! My next one I think will be an attempt at the cauliflower pizza crust :P

      Delete